22 useful travel tips
Tips to get the best out of your trip to New Caledonia.
1. Prepare for your trip ! Visit www.newcaledonia.travel before you travel and then the Tourism Office once you arrive in Noumea (Tel : +681 05 75 80 – free call) for personalised advice on what to see and do.
2. Don’t forget to organise your money. Purchase Pacific Francs before you depart home, or when you arrive in Noumea at the airport or a bank.
3. Enjoy Nouméa’s shopping ! Start in the Town Centre, then venture out to the Port Plaisance Mall, Anse Vata Bay and Lemon Bay.
4. Remember to request permission before taking photographs of others, especially in tribal areas.
5. Always respect the instructions of any sites or locations you’re visiting – New Caledonia is home to an ancestral culture and sacred sites.
6. Discover the local specialties. New Caledonia’s cuisine is influenced by French, Pacific and Asian cooking and flavours.
7. Do not take your own drinks to restaurants (no BYO) and no need to overload your plate. There is enough food for everyone.
9. Don’t forget to protect yourself in the sun. Wearing a hat and sunscreen when outdoors is advised.
10. Take a road trip to discover the diversity of New Caledonia’s main island, its peoples and landscapes. But don’t forget, New Caledonians drive on the right-hand side of the road !
12. Don’t forget those around you ; do not stray from market paths and don’t jump queues.
13. If visiting tribal areas, first request permission to enter the land by offering a token gift to the tribe’s Chief (Kanak custom).
14. Please consider others and dress respectfully.
15. Use mosquito spray to protect yourself against any mosquito-borne diseases.
16. Respect New Caledonia’s natural environment. Do not damage or collect protected species such as coral, shells, plants and more.
17. Help us keep New Caledonia clean ; please do not litter.
18. Experience the best of the island’s wildlife with a guide, but please do not disturb it.
19. Enjoy Nouméa, but don’t forget about the beautiful Isle of Pines and the Loyalty Islands ; they’re perfect places to stopover in the middle of your stay. Be sure to take cash with you for any expenses outside the hotels.
20. Know your limits, stay safe, and look after your little ones at all times.
21. The sale of alcohol is strictly controlled, and is only for sale on certain days / times.
22. Share your trip with hashtag #newcaledonia and follow the destination on social networks (Facebook : @newcaledoniatourism / Instagram : @newcaledoniatourism).
Pay attention, the non-compliance with environmental standards is liable to heavy fines.